Re: [teacherartexchange] music in the classroom

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 10:49:07 PDT

I always play music in my high school classroom unless
i'm giving a lesson. I find many of the kids get
really into music they've never experienced before-
I've a few students (in a band) who were inspired by
some experimental jazz. Kids who originally didn't
want to hear classical end up requesting it, and
foreign music always goes over really well. For
example, Indian Techno is especially invigorating to
my early 7:30 morning art classes when no artist in
his right mind would be working (ok, I wouldn't).

After the first few days of complaints about not
playing popular music, they just give in and enjoy it
(for the most part).

...and if they still complain, I threaten to sing
instead.

So far I haven't had to come through with that
particular punnishment.

David

--- Jean Womack <jeaneger@jeaneger.com> wrote:

> I have wondered if it is possible and practical and
> beneficial to ask one of
> the students to read to the class while students are
> working on their
> projects. I was told about Jewish sweatshops in New
> York where the workers
> hired a reader to read to them while they sewed.
> They were read great books
> while they worked and acquired more education that
> way. Education was very
> important to them.
>
> When I went to school, we were not allowed to talk.
> It's a good thing we
> were allowed to pass notes to each other or I might
> not be able to
> communicate at all.
>
> Jean Womack
> Richmond, California
>

> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne