Re: [teacherartexchange] pin hole camera

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 11:24:46 PDT

Debbie,
        I agree with Maggie that pinhole cameras are
great for the older students. I taught pinhole photography
in Middle school to 6-8 grades. We also built a camera
obscura they could put over their heads and carry around.
Pin holes can be made with any light tight container, but
it must be light tight. exposure can take a very long time
and any light leakage can run the picture. We always put a
brick on our cameras to hold them steady. Oatmeal boxes,
cylinders, are fun if your exposure is on a curved surface.
I built a large camera with multiple pinholes and kept it
on a shelf in my classroom. It required hours to get a good
exposure. The kids would jump and wave at it until they
came to understand they would not show up unless they
stood in one place for an hour, not something they tend
to do. Books left on a table for one class would leave a
ghostly image. Pin holes are a great learning experience.
                                        Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
		mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net