[teacherartexchange] Creativity in High School Classroom (Terry and all)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 09:47:32 PDT

Greetings Terry - and ALL high school art teachers.

I did have the title of the Art Education article after all.... in
this GEM of a TAB CHOICE post by Patty Knott. She has given me
permission to post her "words of wisdom".

From Patty Knott (July 29):

Just today I went into school to get my mail (among many many other
things) and in the new (July) edition of "ART Education" is another
article by Barbara Anderson - Art, Reflection, and Creativity in the
Classroom: The student -driven art course. She offers an excellent
outline of a program that reaches all the kids, not just those that are
looking for art careers.

Choice at the high school level is very possible. But the teacher must
be willing to concede that the idea and the process are more important
than the product. I didn't start as a "choice" teacher, but when I did
change to choice a lot of "stuff" that caused me stress and anxiety
went away and a lot of stuff that caused the kids stress and anxiety
turned to creative thinking and exploration. Choice is about student
responsibility in the process and the more I give the responsibility
the more challenging their choices become. I truly believe you can
never start too soon to give the student the ownership in the process
of the discovery. I get my weary self to come each day because each day
I know some kid is going to amaze me with a choice.

Sometimes it is not easy facilitating and guiding 20-25 different ideas
all at once, but once the student makes the choice he/she knows that
the research and preparation is part of the choice.

I don't know, art is such a personal reaction, art reaches and touches
"stuff" in all of us that is sometimes so unexplainable.... I just
don't know how anymore to present a lesson where I expect everyone to
do the same thing. My goal is to never ever hear "is this what you
want?" My first day in school is always started with the question
"What do you want?"
Perhaps if more teachers gave students ownership.... some of the
"woes" would disappear. Take some time to track down the July Art
Education Journal. Nearby college libraries will have it. I don't
think Find Articles will have the current issue this soon (no - site
stops at March 2005).

Note: I think the article is probably by Barbara Andrews?

Regards,

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department