Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Altered Book Site to spark a lesson

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 08:14:32 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Cynthia Gaub sent me this site:
This is a sketchbook that was exchanged between four artists - two in
Brooklyn and two in Belfast (fortunately, they stuck with their
mailing schedule - smile).

I can see this inspiring an altered book exchange between two
teachers. One in USA - one over seas. This is how I think it might

Each teacher begin with one book for the exchange. Each student do one
spread in the book - leave the next spread blank for the exchange
student to do - reflecting/responding to the art on the preceeding
page. Students of course would be working on their OWN altered books
at the same time. They would do a technique/idea in the exchange book
that worked out well in their own. The theme for the exchange could be
something general - Culture - identity.

Once each student has done a page in the books - they would be mailed
for the exchange. Each student would do a spread and books would be

The teachers would photograph all of the pages that have been done in
their home base book and create a PowerPoint for each student
(PowerPoint could be shown looping during your art show). The actual
book would be kept by the teacher - OR could be auctioned? Of course
each student would have their own personal altered book as well. This
book exchange project would stretch out through out the year, I assume
- so a work station/center would be set up for students to do the
exchange altered book.

If anyone tries this, let me know. I bet you could get a mini grant?
Include some email exchanges as well to learn about the
students/culture of your exchange project. There were some interested
in trying Round Robins between schools. I think having two mailings
would be doable.

Thanks for sharing Cynthia.

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department