[teacherartexchange] music in the classroom

---------

From: Nora Redfern (nredfern_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 07:14:42 PDT

A few thoughts -

When we work on illustrating text or making comics or cartoons I play a
CD called Carl Stallings Project. He was the composer for many cartoons.
The kids recognize some of the music. And even if they don't recognize
it, it has that characteristic sound and if the kids close their eyes
and listen sometines it helps them come up with their own characters and
antics.

I do try and play music that originates from the same geographic
location as an art project.

I like music. It makes me happy. Music can create a certain mood.
Sometimes I study the mood of the students as they come in and play
something that I know will direct their behavior in a certain way.
Sometimes I play music just because I want to listen to something in
particular.

Some students have a hard time with silence and feel the need to say
something just to fill in the silence. With music playing, some students
are less motivated to do that.

I do occasionally play CD's of music that I've heard the students
listening to, choosing carefully so as to eliminate offensive language
or ideas. The students enjoy it and I feel like I win some students over
and they appreciate that I know what they like and will play some of it.

I have the approval to play church music in class. The kids really like
Kirk Franklin's CDs. Some of them sing his songs in the choir at their
churches.

I adhere to the school policy of no CD players at school and do not let
students bring CDs for me to play. I just don't. I will take requests.

Nora