RE: Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 01, 2005

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 03:16:08 PDT

Back in the 'day', I had a complete "stereo" (remember them?) set up in my
room, and then I graduated to just a radio, and now I have nothing. Why?
Over the years I noticed increasingly it became more about the mustic (or
the choice of music) and not the art. PLUS as I got older, the music seemed
to get more annoying to me personally. I can see people starting to sharpen
their typing skills on this one. I know some teachers play classical music,
while others have other choices that they play in the classroom. Suffice it
to say if I were working on art as a student and "had" to listen to
something that was not my preference I probably would be a bit irritated
(that's me folks), so I would rather not listen to music and work. Our
school doesn't allow students to bring in CD players/Ipods, but they have
turned a blind eye to my students who work with their discreet earphones. I
will say that in my classes I try to encourage communication among artists
(I am very verbal myself)and that is more effective without the music, that
said, in my last advance class of 14 students only 1 wore his earphones
consistantly, and he found he was taking them out of his ears more than not
to participate in all the sidebar conversations.

San D