[teacherartexchange] Creativity

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 12:52:01 PDT

Art exhibits are a teacher's bread and butter, and the way that principals
have to justify having an art program.

Regarding religion, all the religions have similar archetypal characters,
like the child king.

With all due respect, I would start the day with an art prayer. I pray that
the students will find enjoyment of making things with their hands and
having an opportunity to talk quietly with each other. I pray that the art
work on the wall will remain intact, without any scribbling or tagging put
on it by jealous students. I pray that all students will clean up after
themselves in the time allotted. I pray that each student will find his or
her art work in their folder or on the shelf when they come to class and
that we will not have to photograph them all so that we can to do a full
scale investigation if it is missing. I pray that students will follow the
safety rules. Etc. I had a teacher once who gently and quietly reminded us
of the rules almost every time our class met.

Students find it very calming to be reminded that alcohol, drugs and weapons
are not allowed in school, and the reasons why not. You can write it on the
board and leave it there for awhile.

Some students are in art because their behavior is so bad that they are not
allowed to be in band. That's probably why they are dragging their heels
with their assignments.

It used to be that every classroom had a photo of John Kennedy and Martin
Luther King on the wall. Then they dropped Kennedy's photo and only had
Martin Luther King up there. I thought they only put photos of dead
presidents and martyrs up on the walls of classrooms, but I could be
mistaken. Perhaps there is an equal time provision in the school if you are
a Democrat, but generally speaking, political campaigning on school grounds
is not permitted. It might be against the law, too, but I am not 100
percent sure about that.

Jean Womack
Richmond, California