Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 01, 2005

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 07:09:29 PDT

Yes, but I made a rule of "no words" - so we listen to only instrumental
music. I have a huge selection of music from all over the world (alot were
purchased on E-bay). I used to allow the kids to play their stuff, but they
focus on what songs they want to hear, on stopping such and such song before
"that" part starts playing, etc etc. My students balk at first, but it's
amazing that once they realize that the only "tunes" they get to hear are
mine they really start to enjoy it, and eventually have their favorites.
(this is high school & middle school). Some students will purchase music of
their own and ask to share it with the class - and will freely admit that
they now listen to it not only while doing art, but their homework as well.
:-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids