[teacherartexchange] Music in the Art Classroom

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 06:15:29 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Music in the Classroom can be very effective when it is part of the lesson.

This was a recent topic on Art Education list - lots of good feedback.
If you would like to read what was said. Sign on to Art Education list
and get a Yahoo ID. The subscribe information is on Incredible Art
Education.

This has been a HOT topic on Getty list too. There is a LOT of good
stuff in the archives.

Darren, I believe you are mainly elementary? You will want to check
out Greg Percy's Songs in the Key of Art. Volume 1,2,3, and 4. I think
he is working on Volume 5 now? We sure give him lots of good material
to think about for songs.
Greg's site is easy to find....Several Art Supply catalogs now carry them, too.

You don't need to play music during the whole class period everyday...
just introduce it. There are so many connections between music and
art. If I thought people would read it, I'd put a page on Incredible
Art Department.

Mike Sacco - If you see this... Talk about how your Beatles' music
enriched your Op Art Lesson. Ken Schwab used Beatles' music with a
figure drawing lesson (sort of Peter Max inspired - very "groovy" --
smile).

Many teachers are working now to make their lessons more
comprehensive....and finding their students are retaining the content
more.... as it is now more meaningful. I even showed dance segments
when I did Renaissance art. I took in a video tape (Shakespeare's
Romeo and Juliet and Much Ado about Nothing are good ones that are
available on tape) and showed just the dances. The costumes were
wonderful to see, too. I think the segment I had was from Elizabeth
(that came out a few years ago... can't remember now). Music enriches
cultural lessons.
Students don't need to spend every minute making art. The music
doesn't have to be played all during class. There could be some
listening time.

Here is a page with info compiled by Jude Grochowski:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/music.htm

Here is a page I started on connections (just vocabulary):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/art-music.htm
It isn't finished - I just put it online today for you to see.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department