[teacherartexchange] music in the classroom

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 06:09:56 PDT

I fought this same battle...until I finally quit trying to play music or the
radio in the class. The students had different tastes in music and
definitely different from MINE...and sometimes when the music would be
playing, I'd turn around and one would be up dancing to the music...but of
course, this was in high school.

They would argue over what kind of music to play and some finally told me
that they'd just rather not hear any music at all....that it was interfering
with their "creative thinking"...hey, that was all I needed to hear.

We have the same school rules about CD players...but sometimes we could get
away with it in the art class...and I found this to be a better solution.
It's a known fact that students who are disruptive in other
classes...sometimes never give art teachers a minute's problem. Some
students DEFINITELY do better when they have music to listen to...and some
were way less disruptive. The only rule about those...was that they could
use them as long as I couldn't hear the noise from the player. I knew if I
could hear it...it was too loud for them using earphones.
Carolyn