Re:[teacherartexchange] Overview of art lessons

---------

From: Deborah Gilbert (dngart1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 11:29:29 PDT

Good job planning, Darren but you have planned too much for the time
you have with your students. The longer I teach, the more I am
convinced that everyone, except kinders, learn more with less units and
more content in each unit. Students hardly have time to work if I
expect to introduce new concepts each week - I spend 5-15 minutes
teaching and demonstrating and that leaves not enough time to get out
supplies, work and then clean up. Each year, my project list gets
shorter and I have to plan more content into each lesson. For example
- primary colors, secondary colors and colormixing can all be combined
with painting techniques into one project which might span 2-3
classtimes. For the upper grades, I would even add monochromatic
painting as the final concept from which the students will work. If
your principal expects you to do murals and you want to take the kids
out to see galleries, etc., you need to put more wiggle room into your
plans.

Deborah in Denver