Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 11:15:13 PDT

I don't think you can give students total choice on
ALL assignments. You pointed out drawing still life
set-ups. It's much easier for them to all draw the
same set ups, especially if you are going to light it
to create strong shadows, than for them to each create
their own set-up. Now you could have each student
contribute one item to the set-up as long as your
class isn't too large.

I do think you need certain limitations based on the
assignment. Even on the college level we had certain
perameters we had to stay within for our work in order
to show that we grasped a certain concept. It all
depends on what you are trying to teach them and what
they will have to do to show you they understand that
concept.

When I was in high school I used to love to draw
images of superheroes all the time. At one point the
teacher told me to branch out and draw other things.
That annoyed me at first, until I learned by reading
magazines with interviews of comic book artists that
professional comic book arts are trained to draw
everything because the stories contain a variety of
elements like household items, buildings, cars, trees,
animals, etc. You can't just learn to draw the
characters.