Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 10:52:46 PDT

--- wendy free <wendypaigefree@yahoo.com> wrote:

> i have to tell you, giving students no choice of
> subject matter to draw for an assignment except a
> picture of the president (or any other person who is
> such an icon) sounds a little scary. if i'd given
> this
> assignment, some of my students would have refused
> do it. putting students in this kind of situation
> does not seem like a good idea.
>
> wendy free

The purpose of the assignment is to teach them to draw
what they see, not what they know. It's no different
from doing a contour line drawing where they have to
draw a specific object you set out or a still life
drawing where they have to draw a display you have
created.

When it comes to drawing realistically I think you
have to teach them how to work with drawing what they
see, proportion, perspective, value, etc. Once they
have a grasp of things then they could work on their
on subject matter.

That's just my approach because that was how I was
taught. I probably would not do that lesson with the
little kids, but for middle school and high school it
is effective. They will be amazed at being able to
create a work of art that actually looks like the photo.