RE: [teacherartexchange] Student Art Exhibits

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 10:28:27 PDT

1.) How often do you have student art exhibits? Once
a semester? Once a year?

I display artwork all year, but we have one large (very large) arts festival
in the spring.

2.) Where in the school do you have the exhibit? The
hallways? The cafeteria?

In our high school' gyms- I fill one and the musical performances occur in the
other.

4.) How do you mat the work? How do you hang the work
on the wall? Is there a place where you can purchase
large quantities of 18x24 construction paper in black
or gray to use for matting?

For the big show, I try to mat or nicely display one piece per student (over
500 elementary). We made enough money from our food sales that evening to buy
several display boards and I also use the gym walls.

5.) Do the students name the art pieces or do you come
up with the titles?

I display a story that describes the project and a photo if it is based on an
artist. The students may name their own art, if they choose.

6.) Do you have a reception for the art show?

No, but food is served in the cafeteria.

7.) How is the work selected for the art show?

I keep about 5 pieces per class to represent each project we do during the
school year. These students are the "Artists of the Week". EVERYONE gets a
piece in the show, pre-K -fifth.

8.) Is there a set number of pieces each student is
required or allowed to have an exhibit?
One per student, but sometimes an extra sneaks in. lol

9.)Do you have the works judged and select pieces
awarded with ribbons or certificates, or it strictly
an exhibition?

They get a certificate of participation.

10.) How long does it take you to prepare for the show
and get everything set up? What sort of help do you
receive to get this done? Are the students involved
in hanging the show?

It is a year-long process for me. I try to mount and label each piece as it is
chosen, but in the spring, I usually end up spending at least 40 hours
gettting ready for the show. I also arrange 4 hands-on activities for the kids
also. I get the entire day of the show off to hang the pieces and I have high
school students put tape on the backs (but never hang. I am too anal for that.
HA!) I also have a few parents who help every year. Takes all day to hang- 8
am to 5 pm when the show starts. I am usually still doing last minute things
when the parents start walking through.