[teacherartexchange] Good Art Takes Time (Overview of Elementary Lessons)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 10:27:06 PDT

Greetings Elementary Teachers,

Thanks Cathy for bringing up this topic. If more elementary teachers
would plan for lessons to take more than one class period there were
be fewer complaints from middle school teachers that their students
want to rush through their art (smile).

Yes, elementary kids (especially Ks and first grade) have a short
attention span, but they can still focus and put thought into their
art if you allow them. You can break your teaching up into segments.
Don't forget to bring in MOVEMENT with your lessons - especially for
the youngers - Music and a little dance - and how about drama? Make
those lessons for the Ks and first graders memorable and they will
never forget their Es and Ps. I have all sorts of ideas on this... but
there has been little interest in discussing it on the list.... I get
no response.

Dance - Drama and Music IS part of your curriculum, too. It has been
part of the Ohio Visual Art Curriculum for many years - and is part of
National Standards.

Why don't we take each element and each principle and brainstorm how
we can bring in music - dance - drama?

Regards,

Judy Decker

--