[teacherartexchange] LIVE 8 - the Long Walk to Justice

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 09:48:39 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Charlot (Art Education member) sent me this link:
LIVE 8 - The Long Walk to Justice:
http://www.live8live.com/

"Every single day, 30,000 children die, needlessly, of extreme poverty.
On July 6th, we finally have the opportunity to stop that shameful statistic.
8 world leaders, gathered in Scotland for the G8 summit, will be
presented with a workable plan to double aid, drop the debt and make
the trade laws fair. If these 8 men agree, then we will become the
generation that made poverty history." (quoted from the site)

I deliberately selected poverty stricken cultures for many of my
lessons. USA kids have no idea what real poverty is. I showed them
what schools were like in those countries as well. USA kids need to
appreciate more what they have. We need to create a generation that
cares enough to try to make a difference. More kids really need to
know. You have that power.

This quote appeared in the Ed Tech list today....

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for
others?'" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Grants are available for service learning.... check your county
education offices.
Start with your own community - it will ripple outward.

I just wanted to give you something else to think about while you plan
your units for next year.... There is SO much more we can do in ART
that can not be covered in the "core" curriculum (or doesn't get
covered in "core"). I know ART is really the CORE (but so few believe
that these days). ART has the power to make kids FEEL. I guess we
really need more "highly sensitive people" (some of you will remember
Robert Genn's newsletter about "highly sensitive people" - it was a
good one).

Regards,

Judy Decker

--