Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 06:52:33 PDT

> But is this any different than setting up a
> still-life and having them draw
> that?

Well sure- the students are not likely to have strong
feelings about the still life which will affect their
attidude about it. Likely they will be more detached
and not let the focus on technique be clouded by an
emotional attachment to what they're concentrating on
drawing (not that emotional attachments to subject
matter is bad, just that it might be confusing for
them at an introductory level - especially if the
association is negative).

> I need something explained to me while we're on the
> subject - with the
> current stress being on creativity vs. technique.
> How does everyone allow
> creativity when trying to teach technique?

I teach video art so its a little different for me,
but I always do mini-lessons in which the students
have to follow precise steps so that they know what
the programs do and how to do them. Then once the main
project begins, I give them a certain set of
parameters (a dream, a memory, for example) , but they
are free to incorporate their learned technical skills
through their own choices.

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne