Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 01, 2005

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 06:51:31 PDT

In my room, students earn assigned seats. So if I have a group that cannot work, they are distributed around the room. I try to leave the groups that work welll alone and not punish them for their classmate's misbehavior. I always try to figure out my middle group - not the early finishers, nor the dragger outers (?), but those who take their time, do a good job, and don't hurry or dwadle. Then I will assign the final due date according to when I think they will finish. I write this date on the board, and this is the absolute last day we will spend class time on the project. I will then accept projects for one week after the due date, but students not finished must complete the project on their own time. After one week I refuse the assignment unless the student talks to me - sometimes a student really wants to spend more time on the project, sometimes life gets in the way. But, they must take the initiative and talk to me before the deadline to get an extension.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  I'm a new middle/high school art teacher (this fall will be my second year). I noticed that in my Art Foundations class, I had some students who were excited to be there and got right to work on every assignment....and then I had some who only took the class because they thought it would be easy. They dragged out each assignment, took their time, and some never finished at all. I'm wondering how you've all handled this kind of thing....how did you keep the class moving along at the same pace? How much socializing do you allow in your classrooms? Do you assign seats? I didn't have this problem with my middle-school students....they were all engaged and very busy....this was mostly freshmen & sophmores. I'd love to hear your input!