Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 06:44:43 PDT

But is this any different than setting up a still-life and having them draw
that? I have done this assignment many times, and the focus is to push
students to see what they are actually drawing. They really start grasping
negative space when drawing upside down. If one of my students had refused
to draw based upon the subject matter I would have sent them to the office
for insubordination. I have never done it with my elementary students - but
at the high school level I have them choose magazine pictures, telling them
the magazines must be PHOTOS, and not a drawing or painting another artist
has done. I invariably have to assert my authority and tell students that
they cannot use the image they have chosen because it is not a photograph.
So if I did this assignment I would definatly supply the image.

I need something explained to me while we're on the subject - with the
current stress being on creativity vs. technique. How does everyone allow
creativity when trying to teach technique? What do you do with the student
who only wants to draw dragons and other fantasy items? Or the Ozzy fan who
only wants to do Ozzy symbols? Some of my students are immature and
immediately revert when given ANY choice. I understand about giving students
choices, but is it on all assignments?

~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids