Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 06:31:51 PDT

Absolutly. Christianity obviously has practically
directed the growth of art in the western cannon since
its inception as a major world religion until the 20th
century. I don't know how you'd look at any western
art history course without including it. I would
never back down from discussing the role that
christianity has played in the development of art and
its history. I'd draw the line, however, at
expecting them to include it in their own artwork.

However, when I do teach art history, I'm also sure to
include the contributions that non-christian cultures
have made- how african designs influenced Picasso, the
intricate design and meaning of northwest coast indian
art, chinese brush painting, etc.

--- Darren High <darren_high@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How about religion in relation to art history? Many
> famous artists used Christian imagery as subject
> matter. There are many periods of art that were
> totally dependent upon the Christian church. Do you
> avoid presenting those images to students for fear
> of
> offending them? It's not like you are encouraging
> them to worship a certain way. I just don't see how
> any true overview of art history could omit all
> references to the church and Christian images.

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne