Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 06:20:41 PDT

I'm sorry, but I'd have to disagree. Just because
their ancient origins are from other places, doesn't
mean tha eggs, bunnies, santa, etc. are multicultural.
 In fact, Santa Clause in his current incarnation
isn't only uniquely Christian, he was first imagined
to look the way he does as an advertisement for
Coca-Cola- uniquely american. Of course you are right
that there are christians that resent that this is so-
they don't appreciate these connections, but those
connections are there, and any use of bunnies & eggs
at easter will reinforce those connections for
students.

--- Darren High <darren_high@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Many Christians actually resent that celebrations of
> Easter and Christmas are dominated by images of
> colored eggs, bunnies, Santa Claus, and Christmas
> trees. The fact is that these holidays are
> essentially "multicultural" in that symbols from a
> variety of religions and cultures have been mingled
> create the holiday.
>
> Celebrating springtime and celebrating the
> resurrection of Christ are two different things,
> even
> if they both follow the theme of rebirth.
>
> I don't think any kid would see a connection between
> an assignment involving flowers or butterflies and
> Jesus unless there was something specific stated in
> the lesson that tied that together. For them,
> projects involving flowers in the spring would be no
> different than other seasonal projects like
> assignments in the fall involving colorful leaves or
> ones in the winter involving snowflakes.
>
> I'm certainly not saying you should have them do a
> spring themed lesson, only that you could.
>

> --- david gran <dsgran@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Believe me, I understand why an egg, a tree, the
> > springtime, flowers, etc. are symbols of rebirth.
> > understand that flowers and colorful things are
> fun
> > things for children to paint, and help get a
> better
> > understanding of color theory, and I can see why
> > "rebirth" would be an interesting springtime
> lesson.
> >
> > However, I'd still be cautious about the
> connections
> > was making. Eggs and bunnies may have their
> origins
> > in the pagan tradition, but they have been wholly
> > appropriated by the christian holiday. The
> > appropriatness of involving this in a lesson I'm
> > sure
> > depends on your population, but as a Jewish kid
> who
> > grew up in a mostly christian neighborhood,
> thinking
> > "this project is actually based in ancient pagan
> > ritual" probably wouldn't have made me feel any
> less
> > marginalized.
> >
> > --- Darren High <darren_high@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "Sure, its not the subject matter, per se,
> > > springtime
> > > is my favorite time of year and flowers are
> always
> > > nice - its the concept of "rebirth". How would
> > you
> > > address that conceptually, or rather, how would
> > you
> > > expect it to come through in their artwork?"
> > >
> > > Springtime itself is a period of rebirth. Any
> > > assignments that involve elements of spring also
> > > involve elements of rebirth. I'm just
> suggesting
> > > that
> > > you could tie an activity into spring in general
> > > instead of specifically Easter.
> > >
> > > Easter eggs and bunnies are Pagan symbols that
> > have
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne