Re: [teacherartexchange] Student Art Exhibits

---------

From: makul9 (makul9_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 05:46:50 PDT

In our city, the elementary students are fortunate to have a non-profit
group that hosts a yearly art show and celebration in the local convention
center/exhibition hall. Each student (just under 4000) has 1 piece in the
show which is chosen by the student (usually). It is displayed on the paper
covered display walls (built from poles that convention centers rent to us).
The work is hung by the classroom teachers or other school staff (not just
art teachers). It takes one full day to set up in the convention center and
about 2 hours to take it down the last night of the show This three day
celebration is much loved by all in the community and has tremendous
volunteer support from parents, teachers, administrators, and others. It
includes music, dance, and theatre performances and has many hands-on
activities for kids. The show often has a theme with a special
activity/display. Work is chosen for our Kids' Art calendar and an art lease
program from the show but we try to minimize the appearance of giving awards
so that each child will be honored. The non-profit group raises funds for
this and other elementary art projects through grants, a kids' art calendar,
and a raffle. My own daughter (grade three) looks at this show as a
highlight of her school year. We are fortunate to have had extremely
interested parents and the focused non-profit group!
Mary