Re:[teacherartexchange] Overview of Art Lessons

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 03:07:44 PDT

Darrin,
I like your list, it's very detailed and covers a good amount of topics
associated with the principles and elements of art. Three years ago I
started the visual arts program at my school for grades K & 1st, 5th through
8th so I know how you feel about putting together an entire years lesson
plan before the school year begins. My classes with K & 1st are 45 minutes
once a week and the one thing I learned from these past couple of years is
don't have high expectations on completing projects in one class period. I
can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was my first year whenver my
Kinders and Firsts didn't finish a project and we had to carry it over to
the next week. From that experience I learned to create lessons that
stretched between two class periods and prepared my Kinders and Firsts with
the idea that not everything has to be done in 45 minutes or one class
sitting. Once the students learned that they could finish the project the
following week they slowed down their pace, put more effort into their work,
and looked forward to the next class to complete their projects. And I was
less stressed out about their not completing the lesson the first day.

Oh, and my last piece of advice... this is a really great board to have
joined and exchange ideas with. I've learned so much for all the veteran
art teachers and artists on this board and can't begin to tell you how much
everyone especially Judy Decker has helped me in starting my program and
continuing to help it grow.

Good luck to your first year...

Mahalo,
Cathy