Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 22:39:18 PDT

This is sort of related. I taught some middle school
classes a lesson in upside down drawing (as presented
in the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain").
 For the assignment I created a transparency to place
on the overhead projector upside down. The students
would then drawing the image on their paper, being
forced to think about line and shape instead of
specific facial features.

For the image I could have used a cartoon character, a
musician, an actor or actress, or an athlete, but I
chose to use a photo of President Bush.

I had a lot of students complaining about having to
draw Bush, saying they hated him and other
disrepectful remarks. This was just a few weeks after
the 2004 election and some asked why they couldn't
draw John Kerry instead. I had to remind them that
John Kerry was not the President of the United States.

These students were apparently programmed by their
families or the media to hate President Bush with an
absolute passion. They spoke about him as if he were
some inhuman demon.

All politics aside, I think the students should have
more respect for our leaders. I would repeat this
same assignment using the current U.S. president no
matter who was in office and how I voted. When I was
in school the teacher used images of former presidents
such as Lincoln and Kennedy, but I prefer using the
current one.

=== message truncated ===