Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 22:29:16 PDT

Many Christians actually resent that celebrations of
Easter and Christmas are dominated by images of
colored eggs, bunnies, Santa Claus, and Christmas
trees. The fact is that these holidays are
essentially "multicultural" in that symbols from a
variety of religions and cultures have been mingled to
create the holiday.

Celebrating springtime and celebrating the
resurrection of Christ are two different things, even
if they both follow the theme of rebirth.

I don't think any kid would see a connection between
an assignment involving flowers or butterflies and
Jesus unless there was something specific stated in
the lesson that tied that together. For them,
projects involving flowers in the spring would be no
different than other seasonal projects like
assignments in the fall involving colorful leaves or
ones in the winter involving snowflakes.

I'm certainly not saying you should have them do a
spring themed lesson, only that you could.

--- david gran <dsgran@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Believe me, I understand why an egg, a tree, the
> springtime, flowers, etc. are symbols of rebirth. I
> understand that flowers and colorful things are fun
> things for children to paint, and help get a better
> understanding of color theory, and I can see why
> "rebirth" would be an interesting springtime lesson.
>
> However, I'd still be cautious about the connections
> was making. Eggs and bunnies may have their origins
> in the pagan tradition, but they have been wholly
> appropriated by the christian holiday. The
> appropriatness of involving this in a lesson I'm
> sure
> depends on your population, but as a Jewish kid who
> grew up in a mostly christian neighborhood, thinking
> "this project is actually based in ancient pagan
> ritual" probably wouldn't have made me feel any less
> marginalized.
>
> --- Darren High <darren_high@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > "Sure, its not the subject matter, per se,
> > springtime
> > is my favorite time of year and flowers are always
> > nice - its the concept of "rebirth". How would
> you
> > address that conceptually, or rather, how would
> you
> > expect it to come through in their artwork?"
> >
> > Springtime itself is a period of rebirth. Any
> > assignments that involve elements of spring also
> > involve elements of rebirth. I'm just suggesting
> > that
> > you could tie an activity into spring in general
> > instead of specifically Easter.
> >
> > Easter eggs and bunnies are Pagan symbols that
> have
> > nothing to do with the Christian celebration of
> > Easter, but all of these symbols do promote the
> idea
> > of rebirth.
> >
> > Those art pieces which show an outside view of a
> > tree
> > which one image for each season demonstrate the
> > concept of rebirth. In the spring the tree gets
> new
> > leaves, the leaves are plentiful in the summer,
> the
> > leaves come off in the fall, in the winter the
> tree
> > is
> > leaveless and covered in ice and snow, then in the
> > spring the cycle starts over.
> >

> > --- david gran <dsgran@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, its not the subject matter, per se,
> > springtime
> > > is my favorite time of year and flowers are
> always
> > > nice - its the concept of "rebirth". How would
> > you
> > > address that conceptually, or rather, how would
> > you
> > > expect it to come through in their artwork?
> > >
> > > I'm sorry if this sounds arguementative, I'm
> just
> > > trying to understand this from your point of
> view.

> > > signs
> > > flowers
> [...]
=== message truncated ===