Re: [teacherartexchange] Ordering supplies

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 20:36:22 PDT

I would suggest that you first figure out what
supplies you will need by trying to plan out what
projects you want to do and how much materials it will
take for all the students to do those projects.

Then see what supplies the school already has. If
they have nothing (like my school) then you will have
to purchase scissors, rulers, color wheels, mixing
trays, etc. These are things that ideally you won't
have to order every year if the kids take care of
them.

I have a very tight budget so once I knew what I
needed I then looked around for the best buys. Today
I spent about $75 in Wal-Mart buying glue and crayons
since they currently have the stuff on sale for less
than a quarter. The Rose Art crayons are actually
just a dime for a 24 count box.

I found that paper eats up the majority of the budget.
 I ordered a lot of newsprint since it's the cheapest
paper you can find and it will be fine for
introductory drawing and printmaking exercises.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure if I've
taken the best approach, but I do think it helps if
you first try to think about what you will need
specifically.