[teacherartexchange] Trouble Accessing Incredible Art Department? Here's what to do

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 14:23:28 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

A number of list members have told me they can not access Incredible
Art Department. There is nothing the PrincetonOnline server is doing
to block you; the site is not password protected. This is the
explanation that Ken Rohrer posted to Art Education list.

From Ken:

The host of IAD requires an MTU setting of 1392. The default for most
routers is 1492.

The MTU setting describes, in bytes, the largest possible TCP packet
size. The default MTU size is 1500 bytes for Ethernet -- i.e., for
LANs. On the Internet, however, the default MTU size is 576 bytes.

(http://theboost.net/tweaking/tcp_tweaking.htm)

Once you lower the MTU setting in your router you should be able to
access IAD.

You may check and modify your MTU with your ISP tech support. Don't
ask me how, as I don't even know what an MTU setting is.
I have no idea what you need to do. Those who want to get to the
resources and lessons can contact your Internet provider with the
above information. Hopefully, their tech support will know what it
means.

This seems to be a recent development (since February of this year).

Hmmmm... I just looked up how to change MTU (Maxiumum Transfer Unit)
setting and it is not something I would want to mess with.... contact
a tech person. I personally have no idea what my own MTU setting is -
but I have never had trouble accessing the site.

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/