Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 14:03:58 PDT

Margaret Mead said that there is a place for holiday "art" in the
curriculum, but it belongs in the social studies classroom. When I
taught HS, I honestly never acknowledged ANY holidays, whether
religious, state, tribal in my curric, not even Mother's Day or
Valentine's Day. When I taught grades 5-8, I resisted mightily but had
to acknowledge that it was important to the kids. It was fairly easy to
work with some of the concepts behind the holidays without naming them
specifically. Who can argue--or be offended by--peace, love, and
understanding?

Maggie