Re: [teacherartexchange] Overview of Art Lessons

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 12:25:50 PDT

This could be very cool! Are you going to build the armature yourself and
have them cover it with the paper machete? I really like this idea! Our
mascot is a mustang, but that's doable.

> I'm tempted to have all the classes work on a giant
> paper-mache sculpture of the school mascot (a ram)
> over the course of a week. Some of the classes might
> add layers to the sculpture while others finish it up
> by painting it. The end result would be a giant
> sculpture that could be on display in the school and
> they can all say they worked on it. It would
> literally be a paper-mache mascot.

I do something similiar, using paint and some goop (it turns into a silly
putty) I purchased from some company. What I did was put students in groups
of 3, and gave each student one primary color. Then they had to pull their
goop in 1/2, and then give one half to the person on their right. They mixed
the two colors together and discussed what color they made. None made the
same color, and it was interesting hearing them discuss how their colors
were made.

> I do need more suggestions for teaching the youngest
> kiddies. Last year I started off teaching them color
> mixing by using small balls of primary colored
> Play-Doh. I handed certain students two different
> colored balls and asked them to blend them together
> with their hands to see what color they would get.
> Most of the kids didn't know about color mixing so
> they argued about what the end result would be each
> time. Unfortunately I didn't have enough Play-Doh for
> all of them to experiment so a lot of them were upset.

~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids