Re: [teacherartexchange] Overview of Art Lessons

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 12:19:29 PDT

I do perspective with 4th grade with them fully comprehending the idea of a
vanishing point. I have never done it with younger students, but I cannot
imagine 2nd grade comprehending the full aspect and being able to create an
artwork using it - I could be wrong, but the classes I have had wouldn't
understand. I don't use artists with primary students either - I focus on
illustrators as their artists. I have done printmaking with brayers with 2nd
grade, and thumbprints and stamps (the big foam ones) with 1st. You'll just
have to play around with projects and get to know your students and their
capabilities. Each class is different - I have a second grade class next
year that is VERY high, and will be able to do projects beyond what my 3rd
grade will be cabaple of. My 6th graders were doing figure studies that
surpassed some of my freshman drawings last year. BUT these are two very
high achieving classes. My 4th grade is VERY low, both socially and
academically, so I have to move slower with them. So there isn't an exact
age for who can do what project. The projects on my site are what I
typically do with each grade, but sometimes I change the grade to suit the
academic needs of a class.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

As for the mural, I would play it by ear. It's har