RE: [teacherartexchange] Overview of Art Lessons

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 11:43:40 PDT

I had planned for a different project each week, but
when I looked over the list of assignments I began
thinking that one 40 minute class might not be enough
time to complete a paper-mache piece or a clay
project. I might have to have them do one or the
other with one week spent on construction and the next
week spent on painting and decoration. Or maybe they
will just have to make small projects.

I'm tempted to have all the classes work on a giant
paper-mache sculpture of the school mascot (a ram)
over the course of a week. Some of the classes might
add layers to the sculpture while others finish it up
by painting it. The end result would be a giant
sculpture that could be on display in the school and
they can all say they worked on it. It would
literally be a paper-mache mascot.

I do need more suggestions for teaching the youngest
kiddies. Last year I started off teaching them color
mixing by using small balls of primary colored
Play-Doh. I handed certain students two different
colored balls and asked them to blend them together
with their hands to see what color they would get.
Most of the kids didn't know about color mixing so
they argued about what the end result would be each
time. Unfortunately I didn't have enough Play-Doh for
all of them to experiment so a lot of them were upset.

I also tried the same approach with a different class
using clear plastic cups of water containing food
coloring. I just asked certain students to pour
together two glasses to see how they make combine to
make a new color. I think the Play-Doh was a better
approach.

--- familyerickson <familyerickson@earthlink.net>