Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] buying supplies

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 11:37:36 PDT

This came in my e-mail today. The article comes from the NEA

Think you just got a bargain on those rolled back prices? Think again.
may have just helped break unions and dismantle public schools. Wal-Mart
will stop at nothing to prevent its employees from organizing, even
closing down the one Wal-Mart store where employees voted to form a
The company has drained billions from public coffers -- money that could
otherwise fund schools. And the Walton family, multi-billionaires thanks
to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club profits, contribute heavily to anti-public
education efforts like private school voucher initiatives and
education political action committees. The National Education
Executive Committee has endorsed a national effort called "Wake-Up
Wal-Mart" that educates the public about the impact of Wal-Mart on its
employees, their communities, and our schools. As Back to School
approaches, there’s a campaign to encourage shoppers to buy school
supplies from other stores in their communities.

Of course, I feel sympathy for the Walton family on the recent loss of
the John.

But, I have always viewed the Wal-Mart empire as union busting. The
links on the NEA site suggest that Wal-Mart is engaged in supporting
efforts that are anti- public education.
I know many of you teachers do not belong to associations that protect
your interests in collective bargaining and you may not understand my
commitment to working for decent wages and benefits, but I am proud to
be a union member and will not be going to Wall -Mart for so called
bargains. Their employees pay the price and it's passed to all of us.

respond to:

To unsubscribe go to