Re: [teacherartexchange] Student Art Exhibits

---------

_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 09:33:36 PDT

I've used the railroad board for many years...started with the lighter weight and have "graduated" to the heavier weight-it's terrific for matting because it's very affordable. I order it (and most all my supplies) through Dick Blick. I also use the "pebble board" for the watecolor pieces.
Also, in reference to the questions asked in previous threads....

1. Every year in March we have an art show in our local mall. It starts on a Friday and runs through Sunday. Not only does it include our high school art work but also the two junior high schools participate. We also have a much larger show in the spring in mid-May (which encompasses all four terms of art students). This show takes place during mid-week and lasts two days. Every other year, in addition to these two shows, we have a junior-senior show at the civic art center in our city. A "reception" is held on the first Sat. evening of the show for anyone to attend. In addition to all of this, we display many of our student work during the month of February at our board office.

2. At our school show we set up in our main gym.

3. We use the black railroad board, matboard and pebble board, for the most part. We do not hang the artwork on the walls. We use display boards.

4. We do not "title" the work. What my colleagues and I do, though, is identify the class and the artist's name. This is done by computer and we use a nice looking font. The small "label" is then glued to the lower right hand corner of the piece of flat work. Or, if it's a ceramic,sculpture or design piece, we place the label next to it.

5. We have a reception or what we call "open house" the first day/evening of the show. It runs from right after school until 8pm that evening. Normally we set up a table with punch and cookies and in the past have had several musical students participate by playing classical music on the piano or flute. This really adds to the atmosphere and brings in students from the music department.
This event is visited by students, parents, faculty and our community.

6. We have four art teachers in our department and we're on a four-block schedule. That translates into ALOT of students! So, we normally ask students to pick out their favorite piece and if there is more than one fine piece (which in the more advanced classes there are) I'll make a decision.

7. Each year we choose an individual with a background in the arts to be our judge. We have found that the judging can take several hours. We have many, many different categories of art and ribbons are awarded in each category. There is also a "principal's award" and a"superintendent's award". The "principal's award" is a larger ribbon and the artwork is displayed in the principal's office for one year. After a year, the artwork is returned to the artist. The "superientendent's award" is a monetary award (also a larger ribbon is given) and the piece is permanently added to the art collection at our board office.

 8. Preparing for the show begins when school resumes in the fall (I collect and prepare pieces gradually so there isn't so much more to do later). Also, the smaller shows prior to the final show at school help us to prepare and plan ahead. Still, it takes alot of work to be ready by the May show. I usually can figure on spending many, many hours after school the week of the show. I am driven by the excitement of it all and the knowledge that the students (both the artists and the general school population), the parents, and the community appreciate all the wonderful work that is on display!