Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Rachel Smith (rsmith_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 09:17:41 PDT

In Interpreting Art, Terry Barrett wrote about how the art world
essentially ignored Norman Rockwell's work for many years because it
seemed so transparent that it did not deserve serious criticism.
Rockwell's work, although the content is not "difficult," became
controversial amongst art critics. My thesis (Terry was my advisor)
was a descriptive analysis of public school art teachers' perspectives
on censorship and controversy. I found that holiday and seasonal
content, although not "difficult," was controversial amongst art
teachers. I thought that it is an interesting parallel. Now,
Rockwell's work has gained much critical attention, and it seems as if
holiday and seasonal content for art lessons might be gaining
attention, too.

Rachel Smith

Art Educator
Barrett Middle School Urban Academy
Columbus, Ohio

On Thursday, June 30, 2005, at 09:47 PM, Diane C. Gregory wrote:

> What about looking at seasonal or holiday objects as artifacts of
> culture. I do
> know that in the past, art educators have usually thought of holiday
> art as
> trivial and trite, without much merit. However, in more recent times,
> some
> have advocated looking at holidays as examples of tradition,
> celebration, which
> have an important place in the lives of children. Laura Chapman in
> her book
> Approaches to Art in Education advocated looking at holidays,
> traditions and
> celebrations as a way to look at art and culture.

Rachel Smith
rsmith@columbus.rr.com