Re: [teacherartexchange] a few questions

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 09:12:19 PDT

You're welcome - and you actually do have a great resource with this list. What works for me may not work for someone else, which is why it's so great to have so many opinions. I remember when I started teaching - I had to start a K-12 program from scratch, and there were so many things we didn't cover in college - where do you buy supplies was the first big question. I was never shown a catalog during any of my college courses, and of course my school didn't have any art catalogs. Then there was the question of how much to order. Small things in classroom management were a challenge - where to store the portfolios, how to deal with water and painting issues on a cart, how to operate a kiln,etc etc. Luckily I had a great co-operating teacher who was willing to continue my education even after I had graduated and spent hours on the phone with me answering all my questions. Now we have this list, which I wish I had had years ago.

I had decided to teach color theory right from the start to all my students. My first day, one of my elementary students came up to me and whispered that he was color blind. I had NO idea how to teach color theory to someone who couldn't see all the colors. I managed, but if I had known someone to ask for help I could have helped that young man so much more. We discovered coping mechanisms together, but I do believe I learned more than he did.

~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  Michal,

  Thanks so much. I'm so nervous about my first year. There is so much to learn, and I have nothing to go on!