Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 08:56:31 PDT

my 2 cents about bringing animals to class ... i loved
hearing about nancy's rabbit and georgia's pony! when
i taught ms we did a dragons project, studied dragons
from cultures, discussed their origins. our guest
speaker was pete whose business was "snakebusters" -
he rescued snakes, lizards, etc. from houses and
businesses where they were not wanted (we live in
florida!). pete brought in snakes, lizards, frogs...
he was there for half a day. by the time he left, i
think all the kids in school had heard about him and
asked for a rr pass to come see! he had amazing
stories, really seemed to love kids and his "babies",
supervised the whole thing so no one was scared or
hurt... my principal came in and a huge lizard pooped
all over the desk in front of her. we laughed so
hard! i will never forget the experience of getting
to know and draw the creatures (still have my
sketches) and the kids who i taught then, now college
age, always bring it up when i see them. it is
definitely important to plan and make sure everything
is done safely, but please don't force kids to miss
out on opportunities to be with creatures, study them,
and hopefully form a bond, appreciation, desire to
protect them... lots of kids had their mind changed
that day about wanting to kill ANY snake or lizard
they saw anywhere. and the dragons were amazing!

:D wendy