[teacherartexchange] 2 great sites - Mayan Observatories and World Myths & Legends

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 08:31:51 PDT

Greetings List Members,

Here are two great sites that were featured in Scout Report. I know I
have posted both before (to the art lists) but there are many new
members. I may have posted them to Net Gold before, too (worth a
second look).

The first one if for math/science connections (National Standard 6 as
well as other standards)

4. Ancient Observatories: Chichen Itza [Macromedia Flash Player]
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ancientobs/chichen/index.html

Located on a limestone plateau in the northern area of the Yucatan
peninsula, the dramatic ruins of Chichen Itza stand as a testimony to the
ingenuity of the Mayan civilization. Many visitors flock to the area to view
these structures, and now it is also possible to view them via this fine
exhibition created by the Exploratorium Museum. With substantial funding
from the McBean Family Foundation and NASA, this site explores the use of
these structures as ancient observatories. Visitors will want to begin by
looking through some historical essays on Chichen Itza, then proceed to
learn about the expert alignments of the structures that allowed Mayans to
observe different celestial bodies. The site also includes fun activities,
such as Mayan math exercises and a Mayan calendar. [KMG]

This one on Myth is also for National Standard 6 and others)

8. World Myths & Legends in Art
http://www.artsmia.org/world-myths/

Primarily for teachers and students (but fun for anyone), this website from
the Minneapolis Institute of Arts uses 26 works of art selected from its
collections to explore mythology from around the world. Each work of art has
a corresponding essay that includes key points; the story that inspired the
work of art; background, such as history, cultural context and style; and
suggested discussion questions. For example, the entry for a Navajo ketoh
includes a Navajo creation myth describing the adventures of the earliest
beings as they moved through the first four worlds; explains that while this
particular piece is decorative jewelry, the ketoh form is based on wrist
guards worn by archers to protect their forearms from the snap of their
bowstrings; and also provides background information on the Navajo, and
their arts and crafts. [DS]

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout Project 1994-2005.
http://scout.wisc.edu/ (Copied here with permission.)

Just keep in mind that the "myths" were not myths to the people at the
time. The myth was a part of their beliefs. Creation narratives are a
great way to connect all cultures.

Art can and should be comprehensive. Your lessons will be so much
richer if you do more than simply make art. Multicultural art is
learning about the culture - why they did what they did..... etc. I'll
keep it short (smile).

Enjoy these sites.

Judy Decker

--