Re: [teacherartexchange] Overview of Art Lessons

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 08:12:19 PDT

These are great! I'm guessing you are planning on combining several per
lesson - doing a still-life drawing using contour drawing, scratchboard
self-portrait, etc. Some items are abit advanced for younger students, such
as perspective (they barely grasp the concept of horizon line, and that the
sky goes clear to the ground, hence the blue line across the top!). Doing a
mural is going to take up a few weeks, I'd assume. You don't have to teach
it all in one year - I like to focus on specific mediums/concepts on certain
grades. 4th grade weaves on looms for instance, and it is the highlight of
their year. 6th grade does digital famous reproduction self-portraits (for
lack of a better word???). These are the special projects that students
anticipate, knowing when they get to that grade they will get to do those
projects as well. Since this is the school's first year for art, you will
need to teach the basics to all students. Next year, instead of a lesson on
primary colors, you can have a quick review with the older students and move
on, because they will already have that foundation.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids