RE: [teacherartexchange] Overview of Art Lessons

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 06:16:51 PDT

<<<<I'm in the process of planning out my art lessons for
next year and would appreciate some input. The
students (grades K-6) have art once a week for 40
minutes so I have put together a list of general
lessons I would like to cover over the 36 weeks.>>>>

Darren,
You have done a great job of planning! I have K-5 for 45 minutes a week
so my schedule is similar to yours. My only comment back to you would be
that once you have this broad plan in place you now need to plan for each
age level. At the K-1 level students need a new project each week. My
experience has been that their attention span is so short and that their
memory is short too (every day is a new day for a kindergartner!!) so
multi-week projects are not as good with this age level. Often, if you
don't make sure to get names on the paper they cannot even recognize their
own work after a week's time. However, 5th and 6th graders actually enjoy
multi-week projects and will be disappointed if you start something new each
week. They like to see the progress they make and it is good for them to
think through a longer phased project. 2nd-3rd and 4th are "in-between"
and projects need to be designed accordingly. So your main outline is
great but the breakdown will be different for each age level. It requires
a great deal of planning and lots of flexibility especially your first three
years as you ease into it. After about 3 years you will have it down
pretty good and you can begin changing out lessons based on preference,
success and continued creativity on your part.
Hope this is helpful feedback-since you asked...
Cindy