Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 05:33:23 PDT

I understand your point, but regardless of its
origins, the Easter Holiday is entirely a major part
of the Christian religion. I 'd be hard pressed to
come up with a lesson about 'rebirth', especially
around Easter, that didn't take on a religious
significance.

--- Darren High <darren_high@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Rebirth around Easter is symbolic of the spring
> coming
> after winter. After a long period of "death" when
> flowers and plants are dead or covered with snow,
> they
> then awaken in the spring with blooming flowers and
> leaves on the trees. Also spring usually involves
> the
> birth of various animals who were hibernating
> through
> the winter months. Christianity and the
> resurrection
> of Christ does tie into that, but the spring and
> Easter celebrations of rebirth predate the birth of
> Christ by hundreds of years.
>

> --- david gran <dsgran@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Themes of peace are good anytime of year, not just
> > at
> > Christmas. However, themes of rebirth around
> easter
> > will likely feel a bit marginalizing to your
> > non-christian students.
> >

> > --- Darren High <darren_high@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The holidays are part of our culture, but art
> > > projects
> > > depicting seasonal elements associated with
> > holidays
> > > (Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc.) then become
> > > essential holiday decorations and are not
> > something
> > > that would be displayed throughout the year.
> Most
> > > of
> > > us view Christmas as an important part of our
> > > culture,
> > > but I doubt any of us have paintings of Santa
> > Claus
> > > up
> > > year around.
> > >
> > > You can use those holidays as springboards to
> art
> > > that
> > > uses the concepts of celebrations to create
> > artwork
> > > that would not seem seasonal. For example, a
> work
> > > involving the concept of peace for Christmas, a
> > > nightmare/fear for Halloween, love for
> Valentine's
> > > Day, rebirth for Easter, freedom for Black
> History
> > > Month, etc. For St. Patrick's Day you could
> have
> > > them
> > > do a monochromatic painting using only green,
> > black,
> > > and white to depict whatever subject matter they
> > > choose.
> > >

> > > --- "Diane C. Gregory"
> > <dianegregory@grandecom.net>

> > objects
> > > as
> > usually
> However,
> > > in
> > of
> > children.
> looking
> > > at
> > culture.
> > understand
> entire
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne