[teacherartexchange] Overview of Art Lessons

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 05:11:17 PDT

I'm in the process of planning out my art lessons for
next year and would appreciate some input. The
students (grades K-6) have art once a week for 40
minutes so I have put together a list of general
lessons I would like to cover over the 36 weeks.

I have detailed lessons worked out for many of them,
but for some I'm just thinking about concepts. Here's
what I am planning:

1. PRIMARY COLORS
2. SECONDARY COLORS
3. COLOR MIXING
4. GEOMETRIC SHAPES
5. VARIETIES OF LINE
6. SPACE
7. WARM & COOL COLORS
8. COMPLEMENTARY COLORS
9. ACTUAL & IMPLIED TEXTURE
10. SCRATCH ART
11. CRAYON RESIST
12. CONTOUR LINE DRAWING
13. SHADING SHAPES
14. STILL LIFE DRAWING
15. SELF-PORTRAIT
16. PATTERN
17. MONOPRINT
18. PRINTMAKING
19. BLACK & WHITE ART
20. VALUE SCALE
21. MONOCHROMATIC PAINTING
22. MURAL
23. MUSEUM VISIT & ART CRITIQUING
24. EMPHASIS
25. ANIMAL COLLAGE
26. PERSONAL COLLAGE
27. ONE-POINT PERSPECTIVE
28. LANDSCAPE PAINTING
29. BALANCE
30. POSITIVE & NEGATIVE SPACE
31. RECYCLED MATERIALS SCULPTURE
32. WIRE SCULPTURE
33. CLAY PROJECT
34. PAPIER-MACHE PROJECT
35. POP ART
36. SEQUENTIAL ART

I may need to make some changes to this along the way.
 I am not sure that they will be able to complete the
sculpture assignments within the time period so I may
need to just have one multi-week sculpture assignment.

The principal specifically requested that the students
do murals in the building. I am also planning for a
field trip to a local gallery for the students.

I would appreciate any feedback on this list. Should
I drop some assignments? Add some things? Should the
order be altered?

This is the first year that this school will be
teaching art to grades K-6, so I am viewing this as a
broad introduction to the basics of art for all the
students.

I'm trying to go for projects that teach the elements
and principles of art as well as a wide variety of
techniques and materials. I can change this at any
point during the year, but I like to go in with a game
plan.