Re: politics and art

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 14:25:35 PDT

In a message dated 7/31/04 5:15:48 PM, lindwood@webtv.net writes:

> in what context did Paige call
> teachers "terrorists?"  Please tell us more!
> I believe that he used the phrase in a speech and later defended it as a
"joke".
From the NEA website: http://www.nea.org/presscenter/supportnea.html
Growing Chorus of Voices
 Supports NEA and Its Members

Teacher of Year
 Just Says "No"
Read why Massachusetts 2003 Teacher of the Year Jeffrey R. Ryan declined to
meet with Secretary Paige.
 U.S. Education Secretary Rod Paige's reference on February 23 to the NEA as
a "terrorist organization" has stirred up a national firestorm of concern and
criticism. Secretary Paige lashed out at the NEA for its leading role in
efforts to address the widely recognized flaws and shortcomings in the Bush
Administration's so-called "No Child Left Behind" federal education law. NEA has
stated that the Administration has an obligation to fix and then fully fund this
important federal law.

 Educators, parents, political leaders from both parties, education and other
organizations, and numerous newspapers and media have criticized Paige's
remarks.
(the web page referenced above has numerous quotes from editorial pages, etc.
responding to Paige)

regards,
kathy douglas

---