RE: the political debate and art

---------

From: mary maloney johnson (maloneymk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 11:46:51 PDT

Perfect! Those are the points.

We can't as art teachers allow a compromise too great in our inclusion of
these many-faceted aspects of art. I don't know how many people feel a bit
of pressure to sanitize artistic expression among students beyond the
standards of avoiding sex, drugs and cigarettes. It would be a shame if
political subjects were to unconsiously become off-limits out of a desire
for self-preservation (that exists in all of us). Yes, the Raft of the
Medusa would never have been painted, nor Guernica, and Kathe Kollowitz and
Daumier might never have produced at all. We have to have courage in this
and so many aspects of life.

Very glad to hear about Paige. All one needs to do is travel to know,
without a doubt, how important art is to the world. My 17 year old daughter
is in Italy right now and after seeing Rome, Venice, Milan, Assisi, the
Vatican and staying in Lombardy, Recanti, and the Italian Alps I believe
she will have an entirely new impression of "culture" - a word that can
become meaningless through over-use and thin supply. Of course the members
of artsednet live all over the place, but for my family in a part of
Florida that is extremely car oriented and covered with pavement and
tourist sites of a lower form (with so much of history obliterated) ... the
contrast between our area and Italy is quite stark.

Kathy

leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---