politics and art

---------

From: Deb M. (dmortl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 11:36:11 PDT

My school board won't let us discuss politics in the classroom. I'm not
kidding - I've actually been reprimanded for it! I have almost all HS
seniors in my classes and they're not allowed to depict anything political
or controversial in their art. It's censorship at it's best! You bring up
3 very interesting points. but remember it was also Secretary of Education
Paige who called all teachers "terrorists" - he should have resigned right
then and there. Time for some new administration. Check out this
contemporary artist's website - I plan on adding it to my curriculum, seeing
as how it's an election year....

http://www.steveshepardart.com/

>#1....as someone mentioned many artists we celebrate were the political
>activists of their time...artists who created artwork that celebrated heros
>and/or>made social commentary on the horrors of war or the injustices of
>society
>#2. as evidenced by current legislation, as educators we must be educated
>about legislation that effects our curriculum, our budgets, our
>certification>requirments. our classroom sizes, the number of classes we
>teach a day, the>number of days we work a year, etc. all affected by who
>is in office, who holds>the power, who writes the check
>>#3 As artistis....we must continue the debate about who has the right to
>choose what art we view, what is art and should/can content of art be
>legislated.>>It is interesting the the current secretary of education,
>Paige, recently>send a letter to every superintendent in the United States,
>telling them about>the importance of arts education. You see...he had been
>out in the country and>discovered that because of NCLB...the arts and arts
>educaton programs were>being cut in favor of more language arts and math.
>As NCLB states the arts as a>core discipline he was surprised and
>disturbed...of course it amazes me it>took him 3 years to catch on..

Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/

---