High school classes.

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 05:55:24 PDT

I really agree 100 percent with your views. Most students I
have are 9th grades and need some organizational skills. I still
stress some of the outside observation since it is part of our
TEKS. During the course of the year, I do weed out those who
are truly interested in art from the slackers and the " don't
care" students. I am amazed at the number of students who take
the class, are not interested in it, make that 78 below average,
dont care, and then try to sign up again the next year. We do
have teacher reccommendation and portfolio review in place.

I am no longer teaching any advanced art (not by choice-seems
senority doesn't mean much these days). I will focus more on
the art I students and will strive for the best from them. I do
like the days when I was the only art teacher and could grow
with the students who advanced on, became a family atmosphere.
Already have had two students who dropped advanced art when they
found out I was not teaching it. Oh well, Sorry venting here
some.

Every student that passes through my doors learns early that I
have management skills in place. A small percentage of student
move forward to advanced art. There is a new teacher on our
staff who really pushes the book and gets some awesome results.
I guess in the long run, it depends on how much importance the
teacher puts into each lesson. We can push and get the best, or
we can fall into the mind set of most students and get minimal
expectations. I choose the high expectation road.

Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Bryan High School
Bryan Texas 77802
austart@bryanisd.org (Art Classes)