Re: SOS for 50th anniversary

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 05:08:13 PDT

In a message dated 7/28/04 2:09:04 AM, moder@edsamail.com.ph writes:

> Our school is turning 50 and any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

I am joining this discussion late, so this may already have been
suggested...but a local elementary school did a wonderful oral history project with
elderly former students. Children were paired up with elder alums--the art piece
could include photography, portraits, etc. I do not know how old your students
are? One of the most compelling high school projects I have ever seen is
documented on the Kodak corporate page
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/education/lessonPlans/lessonPlan007.sh
tml
Students photographed elders in the nursing home across from the high school
and painted oil portraits which were then presented to each of the subjects or
their families in an emotional ceremony...this was not for a school birthday
but could be adapted. My colleague John Crowe created this experience in the
70s and people are still talking about it in that town...
regards,
kathy douglas
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab