Re: In Albuquerque (Warning Political)

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 05:01:22 PDT

In a message dated 7/25/04 2:46:49 PM, maloneymk@earthlink.net writes:

> Art teachers ought to be concerned and
> leading the effort to assure that these basic rights are not destroyed in
> reaction to the changes that must take place after this attack on our
> country.
>
> So here's a link to the subject I refer to:
>
> mailto:media@caedefensefund.org
>
> I only got one response on the subject, it didn't turn into a discussion.
> Is it that people aren't interested? I don't know.

Kathy: Thank you for trying to keep this going. My previous reply to your
thread resulted in a very good off line email which fell out of my AOL
read-mail mailbox before I completed the response to it (whoever that was, my sincere
apologies) I have been reading CREDO, the new (very slim and inexpensive)
book from William Sloan Coffin, who speaks of having a "lover's quarrel" with
his country--that it is every citizen's duty to see needs for change and
improvement and to speak up and do. On dissent he writes that "my country, right or
wrong" reminds him of saying "my grandmother, drunk or sober"...not a
particularly useful belief! On this list we write a lot about famous artists in
history--lots of them are appreciated now, but were among the "troublemakers" of
their era. And so on. I have just returned from Paris, where I was reminded
once again of the goodness and friendliness of ordinary people, despite the
crankiness of governments.
regards,
kathy douglas
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab