Re: Abstract Art lesson from lines on a road map... anyone know where this lesson originated ??

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 15:22:54 PDT

I went to a conference session where the presenter talked about a similar lesson. The students were to recall a "journey" of some sort and document their journey in an abstract painting using the lines on the map they took. They also used abstract construction paper cutouts to show the feelings and experiences they had. The teacher related it to The Migration painting which I believe was by Jacob Lawrence (correct me if I'm wrong).

Christine Besack <mrsbeeswax@comcast.net> wrote:
Hi All,
 As Judy D mentioned earlier, I surfed upon some very interesting images on a Virginia Elementary School website.
Here is the address if you want to take a look
http://www.rcs.k12.va.us/art/bonsack_02.htm

The students used a road map as a resource for their lines, and then filled in with painted or oil pastel color. I really like the idea of using the map to develop the abstract. I think the kids would really get into creating these.

Anyone recognize this lesson from a book or other resource, please let me know. (or if anyone knows how to get in touch with Georganna Hite (the art teacher from this school) I emailed the main school address, but no reply yet. being Summer I am not surprised :)

thanks,
Christine Besack :)