More Olympics sites - from Jan Hillmer

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 12:21:59 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Jan sent me this list of sites - some are probably on the file I posted....
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Olympic.htm
I added Vicki's Australia link (under Athens 2004) -- and I added this Real
Story of the Olymbic Games:
http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/olympics/olympicintro.shtml from University
of Pennsylvania Museum.

At present, I don't have time to merge the two files together. Copy and
paste URLs that break to two lines.

From Jan Hillmer -- Educator's Guide to the Olympics

The DOE of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the Olympic Winter Games
and the Paralympic Winter Games of 2002 created this guide for K-6 educators
You will find Fact Sheets, Questions and Activities, Worksheets and Lesson
Plans.
Web Address: http://www.uen.org/2002/html/reach/

Athens 2004

Welcome to the Official Site of the 2004 Olympic games in Athens!
Web Address: http://www.athens.olympic.org/en/

Faces of the Olympics: A Webquest

This project aims to develop student skills while researching the stories
behind the Olympics. Students are invited to research within their own
locality and find Olympic stories and share them with the world.
Web Address: http://www.mtpleasps.vic.edu.au/olympics/

Games of the Ancient Olympics: A Webquest Are the Olympic sports the same
today as theywere in Ancient Greece? Find out here, as yourstudents follow
along with this webquest.
Web Address: http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Class/est57280/kmeehan/webquest
htm

KD Craft Exchange - Gold Medals

How to make your own "gold medals." Fun for Field Day or Olympic Events.
Web Address: http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/goldmedal.html

Latest Olympic News from USA Today

Up-to-date news service with reports and articles on Olympic athletes,
issues and events. There are also interesting facts, information and a map
of the torch relay, a quiz and related sites.
 Web Address: http://www.usatoday.com/olympics/oly.htm

Official Sites of the International Olympic Committee Visit the Olympic
museum to find an abundance of materials for a springboard to teaching
activities.
Web Address: http://www.olympic.org/

Olympic Lesson- SVUSD Character Education Students realize the many aspects
of international competition by planning and staging their own Olympics.
 Web Address: http://www.svusd.k12.ca.us/character/GoalAttainment.htm#2

Olympic LOGOs & MASCOTs

Resource site for past & present Olympic logos & mascots.
Web Address: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/2563/

Olympic Museum - Musée Olympique

Excellent museum regarding the Olympics.
Web Address: http://www.museum.olympic.org/

Olympic WebQuest

Three aliens from outer space have arrived on Earth in time for the Sydney
Olympic Games. They do not know what the Olympic Games are. You have to
write a guide to the games that will help them understand.
Web Address: http://www.maltar.org.il/k12/arazim/attar/webquest.html

Olympics

Site has great resources, including email to athletes. Students can post
questions to the Olympians, who have promised to respond.
 Web Address: http://www.chino.k12.ca.us/olympics/index.html

Olympics 2000 - Mrs. McGowan's First Grade Includes an online scavenger
hunt, the Olympics Challenge, and an Olympics Internet Project.
Web Address: http://myschoolonline.com/folder/0,1872,0-119831-38-36101,00
html

Olympics Virtual Library

Olympic virtual library - including the Sydney 2000 Olympics; Past, Present
and Future; Official Olympic Sites; Olympic News Sites; Alternative Games;
Bibliographies & Pages for Kids and Students.
Web Address: http://www.library.unisa.edu.au/vl/olympic/

Olympics Webquest : from Australian site Your task is to look at the
planning and preparations for the Olympics and to examine this planning from
different perspectives. You will then be expected to answer questions.
Web Address: http://www.midcoast.com.au/~ttc/olwebq.html

Quest for Olympic Gold: A Webquest

You are official athletes in the upcoming 2000 Summer Junior Olympic Games.

Your job is to provide a copy of your winning essay, to design a
comprehensive fitness and nutrition program for you and your partner to
follow, and to keep a journal reflect
Web Address: http://www.arlington.k12.va <http://www.arlington.k12.va/>
us/schools/barrett/webquest/olympic/index.html

SmarterKids.com - Olympics

Olympic activities from our team of in-staff teachers for families and
teachers. Web Address: http://www.smarterkids <http://www.smarterkids/>
com/rescenter/library/activities/feature.asp?feature=16#activities

Special Olympics International

A not-for-profit organization which benefits children, youth and others with
mental retardation. All students can become involved with SO. Those with
mental retardation can participate as athletes and others can serve as
coaches.
Web Address: http://www.specialolympics.org
<http://www.specialolympics.org/>

Summer Olympics Through The Years

This site has a description of all the Olympic Games. It gives a background
to the history and politics of the times, top 10 standings and leading medal
winners.
Web Address: http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0114335.html

Summer Olympics: A Webquest

Each grade level is responsible for researching, writing and producing an
interview about some of the events and the athletes in that event that are
participating from the United States in the Summer Olympics 2000.
Web Address: http://www.manteno.k12.il.us/dtaylor/summerolympics.htm

The official sites of the International Olympic Committee The IOC is an
international non-governmental non-profit organization and the creator of
the Olympic Movement. The IOC exists to serve as an umbrella organization of
the Olympic Movement. It owns all rights to the Olympic symbols, flag,
motto, anthem
Web Address: http://www.olympics.org/

The Olympic Games of Ancient Greece: A WebQuest Discover the Olympic Games
for yourself. You are about to go back in time to the first Olympiad in the
year 776 B.C.
Web Address: http://education.nmsu.edu/webquest/wq/olympics/olympicwq.html

United States Olympic Committee - USOC - Olympics Online A good resource for
information about the United States Olympic athletes.
Web Address: http://www.olympic-usa.org/

Unusual Sports in the Olympics

A site describing several unusual Olympic sports, and some accomplished
athletes in those sports. There are articles, games, a glossary and other
activities. Vote for your choice for the next Olympic sport!
Web Address: http://library.thinkquest.org/J002862/

Utah Education Network | 2002 Olympics Education This site is designed with
the expertise of many Utah teachers, curriculum designers, and Olympic
organizers.
Web Address: http://www.uen.org/2002/
Note - I will not be leaving the Olympic links file online for long - save
it if it interests you.
I have this link which lists most of the resources:
http://www.edselect.com/olympics.htm
on my Art about Sports page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/sportsart.htm
This is the page I will revamp with your lesson ideas....

Thanks Jan.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department (IAD)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/