To Janet H. from Texas - Map Printmaking Lesson

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 11:00:43 PDT

Greetings Janet - and all ArtsEdNetters,

Christine Besack directed me to a post made by Janet in 2001. I would like
permission to put this idea on Incredible Art Department. I emailed the
address from the post but it is no longer active.

From: Janet in Texas

Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 17:50:26 PDT

I did a project that used maps with second grade about 3 weeks ago, although
we did not create our own maps.
I brought in maps from home of Texas, Dallas, San Antonio, Virignia, USA,
whatever I had. The kids used tracing paper to trace the lines of the roads,
creating an interesting line design. Transferred the tracings by putting
pencil on the back of the tracing paper, covering the lines and traced onto
heavy cardboard. Traced over the lines of the cardboard with glue, creating
a printing plate.
Next class, each student made two prints using black ink.
Last class, used different types of textured wallpaper and texture plates to
add texture and color using crayons to the areas between the black lines.
Creates a very dramatic abstract design.
We had been reviewing our lines and also talked about the use of lines in
abstract art.
It gave them a chance to look closely at maps and explore interesting areas.
It helped reinforce their regular classroom activity, but they did not
actually create their own maps so I don't know if it will work for you. Was
great fun for the kids and the prints turned out great. We only added color
to one print and matted it. The other print they were able to take home.
Janet
If I do not hear from Janet - I will write the lesson up myself in time
crediting Janet and referencing the list post. It is an excellent
interdisciplinary activity - and very worth while.
If even one person objects to my doing this- I won't do it...Doesn't matter
who objects.....Voice your oposition.

From my email to Janet:

I love this idea!
I would like to put it on Incredible Art Department. Get back to me if I
have your permission....Also - do you have any images of student work (or
teacher sample)? Folks like to see images with lesson plans. If you have
this written up in lesson plan form already - I would be thrilled.... If
not - it is one I can write up myself. Hope to hear from you.

My additions:
I am wondering if you could use black
acrylic for the printing ink so it would be some what permanent - then kids
could paint one of their prints with tempera (some of the black ink
would probably show through - but that might be neat, too). OR Print on
construction paper - then color with construction paper crayons when dry-
and/or
pearl crayons.... Try printing in gold ink on dark paper - then coloring
negative spaces
when dry with metallic/pearl/construction paper crayons.

Linda Kieling goes into abstract glue prints with oil pastels for striking
results. Very "Kandinsky-ish"

Thanks Christine! I always enjoy what you find when your surf - Keep
sharing.
Christine found some images of elementary abstract paintings made from maps.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department (IAD)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
Incredible Art Resources